Laudato Si’ Insights – 30 Acts of Mercy for Our Common Home
As part of our Laudato Si’ insights series, the SMA Thumbprint Campaign for Climate Justice presents the #Mercy2Earth 30 Acts of Mercy for Our Common Home.
#Mercy2Earth have drawn up the following list of 30 suggestions on how we can respond to the upcoming World Earth Day (21 April 2017) and the #Mercy2Earth weekend (21-22 April 2017).
The SMA Thumbprint Campaign is supporting the weekend by contacting all of the schools who have, to date, taken our Thumbprint Campaign for Climate Justice Pledge.
Here are the 30 different ways #Mercy2Earth suggest you can show mercy to our common home. They suggest you pray and then chose one to do during #Mercy2Earth Weekend.
Don’t forget to register your Act of Mercy on the website at: www.mercy2earth.org
1. I will join a local climate march.
2. I will begin a group for the “care of creation” in my parish, community or institution.
3. I will organize a workshop or educational talk about the care of creation.
4. I will incorporate #Mercy2Earth into the Sunday liturgy.
5. I will organize a Divine Mercy Chaplet that incorporates care for creation in my family, parish
6. I will advocate for local and national policies that promote the transition to renewable energy.
7. I will buy from companies that support the switch to a low-carbon future.
8. I will reduce my consumption of meat.
9. I will calculate my carbon footprint. (www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx)
10. I will divest my personal investments from fossil fuels.
11. I will encourage my organization to divest their funds from fossil fuels.
12. I will avoid flying whenever possible, fly less frequently, fly shorter distances, and fly
13. I will reduce the use of my car by carpooling or taking public transport, bicycling or walking.
14. I will watch my driving habits: Speeding and unnecessary acceleration waste gas and money
and increase your carbon footprint.
15. I will buy local fruit and vegetables, or even try growing my own.
16. I will plant a native plant or tree.
17. I will buy foods that are in season locally
18. I will begin a recycling campaign in my family, community or parish.
19. I will compost my food waste.
20. I will hang out the washing instead of tumble drying.
21. I will use my own bag for all purchases.
22. I will turn down the heating by 1⁰C.
23. I will purchase less things.
24. I will add solar panels to the roof of my home.
25. I will not buy bottled water if my tap water is safe to drink.
26. I will look for ways to better insulate my home.
27. I will only fill the kettle & boil the amount of water needed.
28. I will spend less time in the shower.
29. I will turn electrical equipment off when not in use.
30. When necessary, I will replace my appliances with energy efficient ones.